[ANSTHRLD] Herald's Point Question

Brian O'hUilliam brianoftheloch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 13:48:55 PDT 2010

My comments are throughout.

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

>  SNIP
>> "Simple messenger" is one of the defining jobs of a herald.
>>
> I agree with Master Daniel on this point.  I was only trying to make a
distinction between THE designated herald for a group/patron and a herald
that is just making an announcement.

> In an ideal SCA, each tourney entrant really should have their own
> herald (well-paid, of course) who should wear their lord/lady's
> tabard.  Providing site heralds is something of a compromise and
> courtesy, rather like water-bearers.

Again, I agree.  I enjoy high persona tournaments like Lysts
at Castleton where fighters are supposed to supply their own heralds, but I
don't think we could do that for every tourney.

> I'm not entirely sure that wearing a tabard in period strictly meant
> speaking for the lord/lady.  Today, the English College of Arms
> processes in at the State Opening of Parliament, though they make no
> announcements.  On the other hand, they are members of the English
> College and might in principle be called on to make announcements or
> otherwise work in an official capacity.  I wonder if they wore their
> tabards while making heraldic visitations?

They may not be speaking, but they are still fulfilling a designated
position granted, presumably, by the Queen of England.  At least that's how
I see it.  I have stood in a Court as a Herald for Loch Soilleir at a
Kingdom level event where we did not even open the court.  I was still Their
Excellencies Herald and their voice.
I would be interested to know if they did (or would) wear tabards during
their heraldic visitations.  However, I must say that I have no knowledge of
the English (or any other modern) CoA, so I defer to someone with more
knowledge than I.

> I am inclined to think that it's fine for list heralds (even if
> visiting from outside) to wear a tabard with the arms of the group,
> preferable to a tabard with the CoA badge or no tabard at all (ceteris
> paribus and if no problems with heat).  In particular, I don't see it
> as an abuse or usurpation.  This may be an emotional reaction, or a
> simple desire to splendor that is at least more realistic.  It might
> be justified as saying that it's plausible for deputies for a herald
> to wear the same arms of the herald (as pro tempore members of the
> Kindergarden of Heralds of the Steppes, as it were).

I wouldn't say that it is an abuse or usurpation, I just don't think it
would be most appropriate.  Again, sometimes the SCA, as the sub-culture it
has become, develops it's own traditions, SCAisms as I mentioned earlier,
such as heralds wearing the crossed trumpets.  Is it period?  Absolutely
not.  Would it be MORE period for list heralds to wear local group arms?
Quite possibly.  Would it be most appropriate?  I don't think so.

I think there are valid arguments on both sides.  Mater Daniel and I fall on
different sides.  It will be interesting to see what comes of this, if
anything actually changes.

I would also note that I have seen Crown s from other Kingdoms other
Kingdoms, such as the West, use the green tabards for all of their heralds
announcing lists.  I wonder why this is not common in Ansteorra.  Is it the
heat?  That people do not like the green tabards?  Or did it just never
really "catch on" in Ansteorra?

> Danielis de Lindecolina
> --
> Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com