[ANSTHRLD] Gryonny of six (was Re:Field division)

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Wed Aug 18 19:03:45 PDT 2010

Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>  In particular, one line has to be on the per-fess line.  There is a
>  precedent saying that you can't have one line of a gyronny of six be
>  palewise.

>From the Tenure of Bruce Draconarius

"In one of the March submissions (Wulfgar der Krieger [pg. 15]), I've ruled that gyronny of six palewise will no longer be
permitted (after the standard four-month grace period, of course). Parker, p.301, states that gyronny of six should be
symmetric around the horizontal axis, not the vertical axis; and this is borne out by such period examples as I've been
able to uncover. Gyronny of six palewise is purely an SCA term for what is, as far as I can tell, a non-period rendition of
the field. I can usually manage to reblazon it Per pale and per saltire; but sometimes (as with Wulfgar's submission)
there's no way to reblazon it. I would prefer to see correct emblazons for this field, rather than have to resort to circuitous
or torturous reblazon. If someone can provide evidence that gyronny of six palewise was used in period armory, I will
continue to accept it; failing such evidence, I will begin returning it at the Oct 93 meeting. (8 May, 1993 Cover Letter
(March, 1993 LoAR), pg. 3)"