[ANSTHRLD] Cat sejant with one raised forepaw

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 14:06:48 PDT 2010

I have found six instances of SCA registrations with the posture sejant, forepaw raised (Seven if you count a 2005 registration where the raised paw maintained a plate).  None of them elicited comments in the LoAR.

Catan ingen Míchíl. Device. Argent, a domestic cat sejant guardant dexter forepaw raised sable and on a chief embattled azure two needles inverted in saltire argent.  (LoAR Feb 2010)

Ulayyah bint Naima. Name and device. Argent, a winged cat sejant regardant dexter paw raised azure.  (LoAR Oct 2001) Was registered without comment.

Ceridwen ferch Thomas. Name and device. Gules, a griffin sejant dexter forepaw raised and tail nowed, an orle argent. (LoAR Oct 2000)

Svanhildr Valdimarsdóttir. Name and device. Purpure, two winged cats sejant respectant dexter paws raised and in chief a decrescent argent.  (LoAR Jun 2000)

Ariella of Devonshire. Device. Per pale azure and sable, a cat sejant guardant, dexter forepaw raised, between three cups argent. (LoAR Jan 1997)

Harald de Sort Ulv af Danelaw. Badge. Argent, a wolf sejant contourné, sinister forepaw raised, sable. (LoAR Apr 1981)

IMO the scarcity supports Daniel's view -- registerable but indicative of no-period style.

Tostig