[ANSTHRLD] Cat sejant with one raised forepaw

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Aug 25 21:23:49 PDT 2010

Robert of Coleford / Darnell Daniels
] http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs157.ash2/41197_1471660004145_1612997228_1127151_7366011_n.jpg
Alden Drake with my amendment:
] Per chevron vert and sable, a cat sejant with sinister forepaw
] raised Or between three arrows inverted argent.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Joshua Brandl <norfildur at hotmail.com> wrote:
> i am not 100% sure, but does the chevron count as a charge and thus
> subject to the metal/metal, color/color rule ? i know something like
> a fess would be...

It's good to question it if you're not sure.  You're right that a
chevron would be a charge and subject to the Rule of Tincture, but
there happens to be no chevron in this design.  "Chevron" is a charge,
a broad stripe across the field; "per chevron" is a line of division
that divides the field in the middle of where a chevron would be.  RfS
VIII:

     2.  Armorial Contrast - All armory must have sufficient contrast
     to allow each element of the design to be clearly identifiable at
     a distance. ...

         a.   Contrasting Tinctures - Good contrast exists between:

             i.   A metal and a color;

             [other clauses that don't apply here]

         b.   Contrast Requirements

             i.  The field must have good contrast with every charge
             placed directly on it and with charges placed overall. ...

             iii.  Elements evenly divided into two parts, per saltire,
             or quarterly may use any two tinctures or furs. ...

A chevron, being a charge, must follow the Rule of Tincture due to RfS
VIII.2.b.i.  Per chevron, being a division into two parts, does NOT
require any contrast due to RfS VIII.2.b.iii.  (I have a dim memory
that there may be precedents about ermined tinctures that share a
background tincture, so I'd do a precedent dive to confirm or deny if
it were, say, "Per fess argent and ermine", where the field is all
white but with ermine spots only on one half.)

Daniel de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com