[ANSTHRLD] {TH}orkell {o, }lf_ss - chevron braced with one inverted, both ensigned

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Aug 31 20:57:43 PDT 2010

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, Joshua Brandl <norfildur at hotmail.com> wrote:
> taking the idea that during my rough period ( well within the SCA
> timeframe) i presumed that any single plane ordinary can be pierced
> in such a manner.

It's hard to do extrapolation -- determining a pattern and deciding
what other items fit the pattern.  In this case, we have only a signle
period datum (assuming Papworth's is correct), and you can't
extrapolate a curve from a single point.  All we can say from this is
that there's one known example in England, and it had a bend piecing a
chevron and nothing else but plain tinctures.  That doesn't justify
any other pattern on its own.

> i then took 2 chevrons and peirced them.  then looking at line
> treatments i found an example ( Argent, a fesse dancetty with a
> cross formy issuing in chief gules--Arms ascribed to Reginald
> FITZ-JOCELYN, Bp. of Bath and Wells, 1191.)  rationalizing that
> dancetty was similar enough to a single chevron i blazoned the
> chevron as issuing.

Again, that's extrapolating from one example. Parker mentions another
ensigned chevron, as I recall, which gives us two points, and I'd bet
a small amount that there are other examples of charges issuing from a
chevron.

> now, a ermine spot can be used singularly as a charge,

The examples of ensigned that I've seen so far are a
(demi-)fleur-de-lys and a cross.  Those are two of the most common
charges.  An ermine spot as a charge is rare, and I've never seen
taking part of an ermine spot.  (Except for one example, the strewn
pattern known as "estencelly", but note that that's a known pattern,
and one example.)

> i assumed that the spot had a "head" and "tail" the tail is pointing
> toward the fesspoint

"Fess point" is in the middle of a shield.

I'm not sure why I didn't think to do a Google Images search before to
confirm or refute my memory.
<http://heralds.westkingdom.org/Templates/Fields/index.htm> has a
"direct scan from Friar's" [Dictionary], a reputable source, of dozens
of different styles of ermine spots.  Some don't have dots, and some
appear to point in the opposite direction from the more usual ermine
spot.

Danielis Lindicolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com