[ANSTHRLD] Inheriting augmented arms or reserved charges?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Aug 3 13:46:37 PDT 2010

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Darin Herndon <darin.herndon at chk.com> wrote:
> I don't like the "drop the restricted charge option".  Dropping the
> restricted charge in the above option would leave "Vert, a unicorn
> argent." which could directly conflict with "Vert, a unicorn
> argent." for which Duke Zed gave permission to conflict to his
> younger brother 15 years ago.

Leaving aside restricted charges and considering augmentations:

An augmentation in particular is not a problem in the SCA.  The
original armiger has the right to display either the augmented design
or the unaugmented base coat.  This is implemented by registering each
of the augmented design and the unaugmented design separately, as
    [coat]
versus
    [coat] and for augmentation [whatever]
If the unaugmented design has a conflict, it is returned and so is the
augmented version, even if the augmented version would be free of
that or any other conflict.

For example, for the instant case,
<http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_np.cgi?p=Galen+of+Bristol> shows

Galen of Bristol
* This name was registered in July of 1983 (via Meridies).

* The following device associated with this name was registered in
   July of 1983 (via Meridies) and changed/released in July of 2001
   (via Ansteorra):
   [irrelevant]

* The following device associated with this name was registered in
   July of 2001 (via Ansteorra):
   Gules, a bend wavy between two double-bitted battle axes Or.

* The following augmentation associated with this name was registered
   in July of 2001 (via Ansteorra):
   Gules, a bend wavy between two double-bitted battle axes Or,
   and as an augmentation on the bend a mullet of five greater and five
   lesser points sable.

* The following badge associated with this name
   [is irrelevant]

Danet Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com