[ANSTHRLD] Peacock Feathers Proper

Ron (Modar) Knight rknight at kumc.edu
Wed Aug 4 08:45:14 PDT 2010

Castellana,
.
I also note this precedent from the Sept 2004 LoAR,
s.n. Pettronella of Caer Galen
"There was some discussion about how to blazon peacocks. This "peacock proper" is blue, with tail feathers that are primarily green except for their "eyes." The feathers are effectively "proper" according to precedent: "A peacock feather proper is mostly green, with an iridescent roundel near the end" (September 1993 LoAR). That same LoAR points out "There [is] little difference between a peacock proper and a peacock azure [i.e., not a CD]" (Caitlyn Emrys, September, 1993, p.20). A later precedent also gives no CD between peacocks vert and proper: "[a peacock vert vs a peacock proper] Conflict with...only one CD for the addition of the [secondary charge]... [I.e. there is no CD for tincture]" (Caitlyn Emrys, 10/94 p. 12).
These precedents have given rise to considerable confusion over the years. Modern peacocks tend to have blue and green feathers (and other color feathers as well). Period emblazons are likewise ambiguous, with "proper" peacocks being drawn with varying ratios of blue and green, even for the same armory in different armorials; this supports our longstanding position that a peacock proper has no significant tincture difference from one that is either vert or azure. That ruling is not changed by this decision; we simply intend to clarify that peacocks proper should be predominantly colored in blue and/or green, though any which are basically all one or the other will be blazoned with the heraldic tincture."
.
http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2004/09/04-09lar.html
.
--Modar