[ANSTHRLD] rooster rising

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 4 11:14:05 PDT 2010

Eldwin Nightowl wrote:
> Blazon I think would be, "Or, on a heart gules a cock rising Or."

> http://eldwin.loveshade.org/images/ll_device.jpg

Kevin commented:

> I would have blazoned this cock's posture as "passant, wings
> addorsed". I thought 'rising' would imply the legs were raised and
> tucked in against the belly or breast, and possibly the head would
> be pointed in the direction of flight (bendwise).

A bird rising is flapping its wings in an effort to get off the
ground.  Its feet have not yet been lifted.  The wings may be
displayed (spread to either side of the body) or addorsed (both
spread behind the body), the wing tips either up or down.  The files
titled "rising1" and "rising2" attached to the post to which you
replied show period examples.  You can also see rising cranes at
<http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00001649/image_234> and
<http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00001364/image_254>, rising
eagles at <http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00018706/image_728>
and <http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00007681/image_88>, and