[ANSTHRLD] "hearts inverted" (was: Lovecock, a cock rising)

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 5 01:06:45 PDT 2010

Lord Ladyday Gaylord (who writes a lot like Daniel de Lincoln) wrote:
> . . .You want multiple hearts and you want them inverted.  There's
> an Italian coat of arms with that, canting arms for the Cullion
> family (or something spelled like that: see the etymology at
> <http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/cullion>)

Eldwin Nightowl answered:
> I had no idea what this was until I looked it up.  Interesting.
> How would you blazon that?

The Victorians really did call them "hearts inverted".  Before that,
I think they were just called "testicles", in whichever language was
in use.  The S.C.A. generally takes the Victorian approach.

Where period emblazons are concerned, some of them do look just like
simple geometric hearts turned point-up.  Others are more lovingly
detailed <http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00001430/image_309>.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>