[ANSTHRLD] Herald's Point Question

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Sat Aug 14 10:41:39 PDT 2010

Ivo asked:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I have a heraldry/history question for those in the know.
>
>I am heading up heraldry for our local event coming up, and I want to
>make a herald's point as a central location to coordinate heraldry.
>With the additional goal of adding some pomp and circumstance to the
>scenery, I am looking to post a flag or banner over the point that
>marks it as heralds point. When discussing this with the autocrat (who
>is also the current Star Principal Herald, btw) the question was
>raised as to what, exactly we should put on the top of the banner
>pole.

A basic requirement of signalling is that the recipient should understand what the signal says.  The banners say different things.  Use the banner that your intended audience will be expected to understand.

>1. Mooneschadowe's arms (Sable, a sun argent, eclipsed sable, and on a
>chief Or, a laurel wreath sable)

This says "I am currently speaking for the group's ruling noble.  The King and Queen know what I am saying and have directed me to say it."  You do this for courts and other local announcements.

>2. Mooneschadowe's Badge ([Fieldless] A lion-dragon statant contourny Or.)

This says "Everyone in Mooneshadowe is welcome here.  It's a local hangout."  Don't use it for herald's point.  People seeking heraldry won't come; locals seeking shade will.

>3. Badge of the SCA College of heralds

This says "Heraldry happens here.  If you want a herald, this is where to come."  I'd use this for herald's point.

>4. other

Each other option says something different.  You need to ask yourself what potential readers will think when they see it.

>5. some combination of the above

Province arms and crossed trumpets.  "Heraldry for the province happens here, as requested by the Crown."

Province badge and crossed trumpets.  "Heraldry for the province happens here.  If you want to make a presentation in Mooneshadowe court, come here.  Non-Mooneshadowe business not requested."
If you are willing for non-locals to come consult, this is misleading.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

P.S.  There is no "SCA College of Heralds".  The SCA has a College of Arms; each kingdom has a College of Heralds.