[ANSTHRLD] Field division

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 19 07:02:59 PDT 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, HerrDetlef <herrdetlef at gmail.com> wrote:
> A gyronny of six with a per-pale division would resemble marshalled
> armory, which is not registerable by SCA CoA rules.

See the link for "gyronny of six", which is (if you use a fixed-width
font):

\ /
-X-
/ \

"Party of six [pieces]" is

  | |
-+-+-
  | |

(or so I infer from a few of the LoAR registrations I scanned thru
last night that said something like "Blazoned on the LoI as 'Per fess
... and a pale counterchanged ...").

Party of six pieces divided per pale would probably be blazoned as per
pale and a fess counterchanged, or at least I can't think of a
different blazon.  10/02 LoAR:

     Hobbe de Coyners. Name and device. Per pale argent and azure, a
     fess counterchanged.

         Good name!

         Nice arms!

(Since his name change in 4/06, it's now in the Armorial under Robert
Conyers.)

That's only one of two registered that can be viewed as "party of six
pieces palewise".  The other is

Dirk von den Schwarzenkatzen|198509W-199311W|d|Per pale sable and
argent, a fess counterchanged, three hearts argent and three cats
rampant-counter-rampant guardant sable.|(-should have been released?)
Registered without comment.  (BTW, the LoAR has a mind-bending
discussion of demotion of points of difference under the Oldest
Rules.)

"Per pale ... a fess ... counterchanged" used to be more common, I
speculate because it helped clear real-world conflicts.  But in other
registrations, either there's cotising, a complex fess (e.g., Atlantia
has a fess wavy cotised wavy), a charge straddling the line, a charge
overall, charges only on the fess, or something else that makes it
much more easily blazonable as per pale + a fess.

> Another option would be a per-fess division with a counterchanged
> pale. For that to work, I would strongly suggest altering the
> per-fess division (like HE Emma de Fetherstan has an indented
> per-fess division), and even more so, a charge that covers the
> entire shield. Six charges (each in a separate tinctured area) would
> look too much like marshalled armory to be registered.

I mentioned in other e-mail that it's registerable and not seen as
marshalling even with each piece could be viewed as a coat of arms.
If you prefer, though, you are free to have a complex pale, or a
complex-line per fess.

Danyll de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com