[ANSTHRLD] Charge and ermine spots of the same tincture

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Aug 25 07:13:55 PDT 2010

It's best to have a descriptive subject line, to help people sort
their e-mail.  I think it's more helpful to have one item per
message.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Darnell Daniels <dmage121 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Per azure ermine or, on a lozenge or three arrows or banded of the
> same"
> http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41046_1471610242901_1612997228_1127003_426872_n.jpg
>
> My question on this one is about the metal on fur if the fur is the
> same as the metal. I don't think there is an issue, I just want to
> make sure.

Blazon fu is needed.

It's instantly returnable for having metal on metal: the argent arrows
on an Or lozenge.  Assuming that's fixed:

There are two ways in general to strew many items across a background:
- wherever they'll fit
- "wallpaper": a regular array at fixed spacing all across the area.
   That's shown here.

When the charge has the same tincture as the strewn items, in my
opinion you shouldn't do the wallpaper technique.  It looks like the
lozenge got a bit ruffty and tufty.

However, it now appears that that may be merely my opinion.  I looked
for examples submitted to Laurel in OSCAR, by going to
http://oscar.sca.org/ and doing a search for "ermine".  I see at
<http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=145&id=9733>

     Caelainn inghean Aoidh. Name and device. Azure, in pale three open
     books Or between flaunches Or ermined azure.

The flaunches uses the wallpaper model, and therefore had partial
azure ermine spots touching the field.  Nobody said "boo" and it was
registered without armorial comment.

Even <http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=145&id=1197>

   Edward Shirebrooke. Device change. Argent, a griffin segreant to
   sinister azure ermined argent within a bordure sable.

Even clicking on the mini-emblazon to see the large-size one, it looks
horrible in black-and-white outline, and I wonder what it looks like
colored.  Registered without comment on that issue.  Lots of other
examples.

Nevertheless, I'd still recommend not having partial ermine spots
touch the lozenge.  I prefer the "fit 'em in" model when there's a
charge involved.
<http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=145&id=13778>
is an interesting example.

You can do a lot fewer ermine spots, and they could then grow (or not,
if you like).  I'd recommend that on style grounds, albeit that may
just be my personal preference.  Also, "too many ermine spots" has
sometimes been cause for return (albeit I think you usually need more
than this number).  Also also, it's easier to color.  Also also also,
if you use fewer, you might find a wallpaper spacing where none of
them happen to touch the charge; I found examples of that being one in
submissions on OSCAR.

Danihel Lindicolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com