[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check Assistance - sailor

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Dec 2 07:08:25 PST 2010

Quarterly sable and gules in bend two anchors Or, in bend sinister two
compass stars and a cross throughout argent.

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Crandall <crandalltwo-scalists at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Three "objects". Anchors, cross, stars
> Four Tinctures: Or, Sable, Gules, Argent
> If we then use the field division, that makes complexity of eight,

We don't use the field division.  RfS VIII.1.a

    As a rule of thumb, the total of the number of tinctures plus the
    number of types of charges in a design should not exceed eight.

However, Johnny in the boondocks nailed it: appearance of marshalling.
- quarterly was a division used in marshalling
- sections having disparate charges
- a cross is one "overall" charge that does *not* remove an appearance
  of marshalling, though I don't have the precedent to hand at the
  moment.

In a redesign, please be aware that "There is a step from period
practice for the use of the compass star."

Daniel Delinquent
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com