[ANSTHRLD] period anchors (was: A cross between. . .)

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 3 01:47:15 PST 2010

Jillian Saint Andre, OSTB wrote:
> . . .are anchors a common charge at all historically?  I'm not sure
> just how authentic/accurate he wishes to be, but his name is c.
> 1300 Breton (also with a nautical theme.)

Danyll Lincoln commented:
> I'd check the Pic Dic to at least tell whether it's period.

Or, y' know, check some period sources.

I don't know about the client's period, and I'm not sure how common
they ever were, but anchors were certainly in use before the end of
the 16th century.  I have handy examples from southern Germany and
England:

<http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00018706/image_685>

<http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00018706/image_174>

<http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00001647/image_86>

and I'm pretty sure I've seen some in one or more volumes of the
Italian armorial I've been working with lately:

<http://coblaith.net/Heraldry/Armorials/default.html#multIt>

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>