[ANSTHRLD] Acceptable sources and invented names

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Wed Dec 15 19:28:36 PST 2010

Admin Handbook IV.C.2 reads:

2. Documentation - Documenting evidence must be included for all name
elements, constructions, and patterns, as well as any non-standard
armorial elements or practices. Such documentation must include
references to specific pages and/or entries in the source material.
Citations must be sufficiently complete to allow identification of the
source and its usefulness, which generally includes author, title, and
publication information (for print sources) or URL (for online
sources). Except for documentation from items in Appendix H (the
No-Photocopy List), such documentation must include copies of cited
source material. While the kingdom college and College of Arms may
assist with research and documentation, the submitter bears
responsibility for providing documentation for all submissions.

Note that last sentence.  At some point, go ahead and accept it and
send it on up, and let kingdom (or Laurel) be the ones to tell her
"no", if necessary.

I believe <Mabry> might be documentable as a variant of <Mayberry> or
the like, but that would be as a surname, NOT as a given name. If
indeed documentation can be found of it as a surname, you might see if
you can advise her to find another given name she likes and use it; if
she's really stuck on <Gardiner> as a surname, she can likely get away
with a double surname in late-period England.

Grain of salt and all that,
-Emma