[ANSTHRLD] default cross (was: A cross between. . .)

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 3 01:28:18 PST 2010

Daniel de Lindicolino wrote:
> I simply assumed that the cross is actually in its normal position
> in the center of the field. . .Crosses are throughout by default.

Jillian Saint Andre, OSTB answered:
> I didn't realize crosses were throughout by default, I thought they
> were centered. . .

When you see "a cross" in an S.C.A. blazon without elaboration, the
charge is both throughout *and* centered.  You can see several period
examples at <http://coblaith.net/Heraldry/Crosses/default.html>.

Perhaps you're visualizing "a Latin cross", which has a longer lower
than upper limb?  There are some examples of Latin crosses couped at
<http://coblaith.net/Heraldry/Crosses/modifications.html#Latin>.  I'm
not sure I've seen one uncouped in a period source. . .

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>