[ANSTHRLD] Question

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Mon Jan 18 08:42:32 PST 2010

If you google it, you'll see it's a collection of the emblems on Roman military unit shields. Rather cool, imo.

I think the most likely candidate for what Wihtric is hoping to emulate is best described as a demi-pale in base conjoined to an annulet or roundel and possibly a bordure.

In my humble opinion, if you can show something was done to more than one charge in a logical group (say, ordinaries that are stripes that cross the shield) you could make a case for doing it to others in the group. So, showing that both a demi-fess and a demi-chevron were used in period would make a demi-pale or demi-bend plausible. (I assume the difference between a demi-bend sinister and a demi-chevron is how you angle the cut.)

I agree wings are a special case, and really shouldn't be used to justify conjoining other things, but since roundels and annulets are simple geometric shapes (Fox-Davies considered them ordinaries) I don't see why they couldn't be conjoined to a demi-ordinary. This is just a verbal description of a documented pre-period practice, and the emblazon is easily reproducible from the blazon.

I'm no expert and I haven't dove through the rules or the precedents yet, but I think it's plausible and kinda cool.

Kevin