[ANSTHRLD] Question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jan 18 08:09:59 PST 2010

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Richard Culver <rbculver at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> This might very well fall in the stupid question catagory, but can
> one conjoined things like wings for example to fesses, pales,
> chevrons, etc.  I have, in a broad search found ordinaries conjoined
> to each other, like a saltire to a pale, but never other
> objects. Just curious as I am working out another design idea for my
> own device, trying to mimic an idea from the Notitia Dignitatum in a
> proper heraldic manner.  Also can they be subject to being demi-
> versions? I have seen a demi-chevron and a demi-fess in some
> heraldry books but not sure if it can apply to others.
>
> I just have ideas in my head and want to get them right.  Hopefully
> I can get a hold of a local herald and finally get my submissions
> for device and name in ASAP.

When someone asks a general question, I find it works better to get
the specifics.  Most of the time, the specifics that the questioner
thought were irrelevant turn out to be crucial.

So it is here.  The one detail mentioned was "like wings for example".
Wings are something of a special case.  I don't have the Pict Dict to
hand, but I think there's text in there something like "Wings were
added to an implausible variety of charges in Germanic heraldry".

So.  What's the Nokia Diapertatum or whatever heathenish title that
is?  What precise idea are you trying to mimic?

Danyll de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com