[ANSTHRLD] Question

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 18 10:37:10 PST 2010

When someone asks a general question, I find it works better to get
the specifics.  Most of the time, the specifics that the questioner
thought were irrelevant turn out to be crucial.
From: Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com>

[Wihtric]  In hindsight you are right I should have just come out with it.

Here is the color version: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/rbculver/?action=view&current=wihtricdevice-black.gif

The line drawing:  http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/rbculver/?action=view&current=wihtricdevice-bandw.gif

And here is a leaf from the Notitia Dignitatum  which shows what I am trying to ape (third row, first shield labeled Anglevarii- an Anglian detachment in the eastern Empire late 4th early 5th centuries): http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/rbculver/?action=view&current=PraesentalisI2.jpg

So essentially I was visually wanting two stag's head couped and addorsed conjoined at their bases to a demi-pallet issuant from base.

In lieu of that not working how about a plate voided sable conjoined in base to a demi-pallet issuant from base argent:
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/rbculver/?action=view&current=wihtricdevice-blackwithvoidedplate.jpg (colored)
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b309/rbculver/?action=view&current=wihtricdevice-bandw2.jpg (line drawing)

So.  What's the Nokia Diapertatum or whatever heathenish title that
is?

[Wihtric]  The Notitia is a listing of military units of the the Roman Empire, broken down East and West, and their unit insignia.  It is for all intents and purposes very early heraldic collection, dating some units around the late 300's and others the early 400's.  I believeit was found in Britain.  It has a number of germanic foederatii units and since fighting wise I favor late Roman with some proto-Vendel elements thrown in, it seemed like a good source to play my part in the Dream a bit better.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda-sarson/NotitiaPatterns.html  This is a great site about the book and has a number of plates with the devices of the various units.  I realize it is outside the scope of the SCA's heraldic period, but we are "creative" afterall. :)

Gódspéde!
Wihtric