[ANSTHRLD] allowing attachments (was: Charge question)

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Jul 1 11:42:29 PDT 2010

This list can actually accept some attachments.  The only attachments that should get through are png, jpg and gif.  I will say it is not perfect.  It has been about a year now since it got changed so my memory is a little hazy, but I do remember having some issues.  Some mail programs (I think my webmail interface was one) don't use standard content types on their messages and that causes issues.  If yours is one then your image may well get filtered anyway.

Also there are downsides as the attachments don't archive well (see http://lists.ansteorra.org/htdig.cgi/heralds-ansteorra.org/2009-July/014964.html for an example) and likely there are issues with the digest as well.  So it is not a perfect solution.

Alasdair, wearing list-admin hat