[ANSTHRLD] Eldwin's Submission II

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jul 27 20:32:48 PDT 2010

Daniel <tmcd at panix.com>:
> The term "charge group" is an SCA term, coined for patterns observed
> in period armory and blazonry.
>
> I think you would have to look for uses of pentacles in period armory.
>
> More generally, see a charge-within-an-annulet in period armory.
>
> *Are* there any? The only one I know of are attributed arms for Sir
> Galahad, I think it was, with "Gules, a pentacle [metal]".

kevinkeary:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Eldwin Nightowl <eldwin at loveshade.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the source.  Now the big question is, will Laurel would
> accept this?  What do people think?

"Accept this" in what sense?  For registerability of a mullet voided
and interlaced, with or with an annulet, that's been ruled on (3/09
LoAR).  The question here was whether it's considered a charge or
whether it's a pair of charges.

The four examples are all of the same arms (unless they make the
distinction of a pentagram having no annulet and a pentacle having
one).  They are all for the same person, who is a fictional character.
And the arms all have just that charge or charge pair, so it's
impossible to tell what they might be interpreted as.

Coming to think on it, it might be possible to research variations on
the arms of Gawain in different sources, or real arms that contain the
figure.  If some are specific enough to state that there's an annulet
and some ar especific enough to say that there isn't, then Laurel
*might* rule that, on a pentacle / pentagram in particular, including
or excluding an annulet is an artistic variation and therefore it must
be seen as a single charge.

Daniel de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com