[ANSTHRLD] Four trefoils, in cross?

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 13:10:05 PDT 2010

Thanks for the blazon help, and also - thanks for the links to the period
trefoils. I'm headed to the article for a little reading as well.

I do plan on trying to become slightly more artistic with the help of
Illustrator and the pen tool :) But we'll see how that works out.

Jayme

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Coblaith Muimnech
<Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Jayme the artistically challenged wrote:
>
>> Would the following graphic be an accurate emblazon of four trefoils in
>> cross?
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/txmedic/4843688589/
>>

> Charges in cross are in their default orientations (like the escallops in
> the attached period emblazon, from <
> http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00001430/image_261>) unless some
> other is specified.
>

> I'd blazon what's shown in your image, "in cross four trefoils slips to
> center".
>
> I feel it's also important that you know rotating charges in cross in that
> fashion is not something that was done in real medieval and Renaissance
> heraldry.  There's a little discussion of that in one of my articles, at <
> http://coblaith.net/Heraldry/Crosses/ofcharges.html#endtoend>.
>
> By the way, if you're not terribly artistic, you can always borrow from
> others.  (That's what I do.)  I'm sure neither Anton Tirol <
> http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00001647/image_63> nor Nicholaus
> Bertschi <http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/bsb00001364/image_75> would
> mind if you traced his trefoils, for example.
>

> Coblaith Muimnech
> <mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
> <http://cobliath.net>

Joseph M. Percer, AAS, LP