[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check

Emily Minier adalia.nyx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 13:43:16 PDT 2010

Actually, I think the following precedent prevents the bordure and the
emining from being the same 'color'...

In summary, No charge of color A (or metal A) can be placed on field that's
even partly the same color (or metal).

[Gyronny gules and argent, a sheep couchant sable sustaining a wood-hafted
halberd bendwise sinister argent hafted proper.] This device is returned for
a redesign. The identifying feature of the halberd is the blade. In this
emblazon the argent blade lies on the argent portion of the field, making it
impossible to identify the charge. Even if the halberd were small enough to
be considered a maintained charge, this would lack sufficient contrast for
registration. Precedent states "While 'held' charges are not held to the
Rule of Contrast as strictly as most charges, they still may not share a
tincture with the field." (Eleri Langdoun, 3/93). A similar ruling was made
for a maintained sword Or on a field checky Or and gules (10/92), citing a
precedent back in 1988. So size, or exact placement on the gyronny field, is
irrelevant: an argent charge, even maintained, cannot be placed on a field
that's even partly argent. [Geoffrey Blesedale, 11/05, R-East]