[ANSTHRLD] Conflict question

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Nov 9 13:34:08 PST 2010

Emily Minier <adalia.nyx at gmail.com> asked about

     Vert, a rapier and a quill pen crossed in saltire and upon a chief
     argent two larks rising vert.

versus

     Vert, a sword inverted and a quill pen crossed in saltire argent,
     a bordure embattled Or.

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Kevinkeary <kevinkeary at aol.com> wrote:
> The primaries aren't identical, but the differences are negligible
> -- particular style of sword and NOT inverting it.

I believe that inverting a sword is an orientation change that can
cause a CD.  So this change in orientation of at least half the
primary charge group would therefore be a CD.

> Swapping the bordure for the chief is a CD, with or without the
> tincture change. Adding tertiary charges is also a CD -- and these
> are tertiaries.

Yup.

> Now watch someone correct me and say that the change of the
> secondary's type and tincture are each a CD, so this is three off.
> I haven't checked to remind myself on that.

Nope.  The change of the secondary's type and tincture are each a CD,
so this is FOUR off.

For charges on the field (primary, secondary, peripheral ordinary,
overall): each separate changes that can cause a CD are separate CDs,
except for the case where a change of position is forced by some other
change.

For charges on a charge (tertiary): all the changes to a single group,
no matter what kind or how many, can get you no more than one CD.

For the field: all the changes to a field, no matter what kind or how
many, can get you no more than one CD, unless there are no charges at
all, or just a peripheral ordinary.

Danielis de Lindocollino
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com