[ANSTHRLD] Conflicting with a non player.

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon Nov 15 12:53:52 PST 2010

Daniel wrote:

>I do not remember ever hearing a heraldic client asking how long the
>registration was for, or how protected it was from conflict.  Nor do
>the forms have any information about that.  If there is no meeting of
>the minds on any sort of terms, there is no contract.

The rules have said for decades that registration is effectively permanent.  From the Administrative Handbook:

III.A.1. Names registered by the College will be listed in the Society Armorial and protected from conflict against future submissions. Once registered, an item shall be protected until written notice of release is received by the Laurel Office from the owner and published in a letter of acceptances and returns.
III.B.1. All armory registered by the College will be listed in the Society Armorial and Ordinary and protected from conflict against future submissions. Once registered, an item shall be protected until written notice of release is received by the Laurel Office from the owner.

The period of time it will be protected is clearly stated -- "until written notice of release is received ... from the owner".

>Also, I question how important people think it is -- but: obviously
>people are hearing about registration somehow, because I don't
>remember hearing questions like "so what's this heraldry business?
>what is registration?".  So I suspect people may hear it at a
>newcomer's class or somewhere.

The mere fact that people have opinions about it is proof that it's important to them.  It's certainly important to me -- if I drop out for thirty years, when I return the mustache means *me*.

>On another point, I want to point out "the rules".  ... more people
>arriving at my desk, so I can't go into the point.  Rules changes.
>Sometimes radically.  Some of the upcoming proposed changes are pretty
>major.  Is that a violation of this purported "contract"?

The rules when my name and device passed stated that the registration will be permanent despite any later changes in rules.  Presumably, future rules could change what conflict is, reducing what it takes to clear conflict.  The SCA could legally say that conflict is cleared by any change whatsoever, and then a device that's identical to mine but with a single white spot on one of the ermine spots would be clear of mine.  (It might even be possible to declare that zero points of difference with thirty years difference in submission date would clear conflict, and then in a year or two someone could also register my exact device.  But I suspect that such a rule would lead to a major revolt on the SCA level.)  But in any case, my name and device will still be registered, unless *I* (or my heirs and assigns) send a letter releasing it.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin