[ANSTHRLD] Arabic Names

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:32:45 PDT 2010

Greetings,

I have a gentleman who is fairly active in Seawinds for a while now
who is becoming interested in getting registered with the college. He
is currently going by <Kurosh al-Din> -- Arabic names are sufficiently
foreign to me that
I am going to punt this one to the list for further help...

The closest I've come on <Kurosh> is <Quraysh> which comes from the
article Arabic Masculine Names from the Futuwwah by Mustapha
al-Muhaddith ibn al-Saqaat. Found at:
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/mustapha/futuwwah.html .

The closest I've come to <al-Din> at this point is a brief mention of
it in titular bynames in Persian Masculine Names in the Nafah.ât
al-uns by Ursula Georges, located at
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ursula/nafahat/titles.html where it
appears that <al-din> means "of the faith".

If anybody has any resources for Arabic aside from what's located at
the Medieval Names Archive, I'd greatly appreciate it, as I've looked
through the articles and <Quraysh al-Din> would be as close as I could
come, and I'm not real comfortable with the limited references for
<al-Din>

Thanks,

Jayme

--