[ANSTHRLD] Clearing a Conflict

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Oct 5 19:18:03 PDT 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 Wolfgang wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > My Device submission was recently "kicked back" by Laurel for the
> > following reason:
> >
> > Wolfgang von Sachsenhausen. Device. Per pale gules and sable, two
> > halberds in saltire argent.
> > This device conflicts with the device of ******, Sable, two
> > doublebitted axes in saltire argent. There is a CD for the field
> > but no CD is granted between different styles of axe head

It's commendable to respect privacy, but in this case, since it's a
publicly Webbed document, you don't have to redact the name.
Katrine Keathe.

> > If I do something as simple as adding a mark of difference, such
> > as a Mullet Argent to the Device, will that be enough to give the
> > second CD and get the Device to pass?

My immediate reaction is "good instinct!".  In period, they used both
5-pointed stars (more common in Britain) and 6-pointed stars (more
common on the Continent).  Your choice.

> Herr Wolfgang,
>
> RfS X4i gives 1 clear difference for addition of charges on charges
> (tertiary charges). Note that you can only derive 1 CD from a change
> to a tertiary. That should clear you of Sable, two doublebitted axes
> in saltire argent.

That's true, but (as you noted) an argent mullet could not go on an
argent halberd.  I suspect the idea is to put the mullet on the field
instead of on an axehead.  That is also a difference.  Without the
limitation of being on an axhead, it could also be drawn larger,
providing more visual difference.  Also, the mullet was not uncommon
as a mark of difference in period and was often or usually on the
field, usually in dexter chief (more or less precluded by the bendwise
halberd) or in chief.

I have not conflict-checked such a design, though.

> You could also look into the possibility of adding a peripheral
> ordinary such as a bordure or an orle.

Those are fairly common in the SCA to clear a conflict, so in general
I prefer to advise other things because
- there are other period choices
- these are sort of banal, frankly
- since it's a standard SCA thing, there's more of a chance of
  conflict

If there is a problem with mullets, there were other common signs of
difference, though I think much more common in England than the
Continent: a crescent, a ring (annulet), a fleur-de-lys, various
crosses, ... There are lots of possibilities.

Danielis Lincolnia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com