[ANSTHRLD] Tierces

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 17:05:42 PDT 2010

Have a submitter who wants a device that can best be described as:

Sable, on a sinister tierce azure, a tower Or.

I'm under the impression that this violates RfS XI.3 - Marshaling

Also from the West Kingdom Heraldic Templates Page:
http://heralds.westkingdom.org/Templates/Ordinaries/index.htm

The tierce does not appear to have been used in period heraldry; it is
permitted in Society heraldry. However, because a charged tierce looks
like impaled armory, and is unbalanced, tierces may no longer be
charged in Society armory.

Does anybody happen to know of a citation for that, or a precedent? I
have google searched the SCA site and haven't come back with a hit
yet, just a precedent from Alison Metron Ariston back in 88 that
stated a charged tierce was poor style.

Would like to be able to back up my opinion with some precedent for
the submitter.

--
Jayme

Joseph M. Percer, AAS, LP