[ANSTHRLD] Blazon and Device help: Argent chape ploye ermine

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Oct 21 07:29:26 PDT 2010

About the design at
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs022.snc4/33485_1541393107429_1612997228_1278728_5295867_n.jpg

In this case, it would be well to read the precedent that Jayme cited:
Aemilia Sabine, 2/03, at
http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/2003/02/03-02lar.html#237

If this were chap{e'} ploy{e'}, it would be returned, but the chap{e'}
parts are so frikin' huge it can't possibly be chap{e'}.  It is per
chevron ploy{e'}, except I'd ask the submitter to draw the blue areas
significantly smaller so that it's approximately half blue and half
ermine.

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Alasdair MacEogan
> <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
>> Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This must be blazoned as per chevron throughout ploye.  We do not
>>> allow charged chape fields, as the practice was not done in
>>> period.

To be more precise, you cannot charge the *chap{e'}* parts of the
field.  Charging the non-chap{e'} parts is hunky dory [1].

>> Ermine is a fur and thus a field, not a charge.  Chap{e'}
>> ploy[e'} should be fine.

The ermine isn't the problem.  It's the arrows and the stag's head
that are on the chap{e'} part and therefore are of concern.

> Ahh yes I am misidentifying the chape part of the field. I was
> thinking it was the upper (azure) part for a moment. I believe
> caffeine is in order.

You were right the first time.  It's Alasdair who needs caffeine.

All this paragraph is from memory, so maybe *I* need caffeine --
someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  I think "chap{e'}" is from
the French for "caped", so the chap{e'} part of the field is indeed
the upper part.  For the similar division "chauss{e'}", that's from
the French word for "shoe", so it's "chap{e'}" but on the bottom of
the shield.  "V{e^}tu", 'vested', maybe?  It's a lozenge, in any
event, so caped and shod.

Daniel de Lindicolino

[1] Then Karnak the Magnificent reads the question:
"What is the Hungarian Navy, Bo?"

Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com