[ANSTHRLD] Name help: Ann of Wellborn

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 16:44:29 PDT 2010

Reaney & Wilson's English Surnames gives the following spellings of
<Wellborn> from pg 480:

Welbourn, Welbourne, Welbon, Welburn, Wellborne, Wellburn.  Those are
the header forms. (Note: Only the one example in Latin is dated, the
rest are undated forms, Your mileage may vary. I don't have access to
an english placenames book at the moment.)

The citation reads: Ailmer de Welleburnia 1185 Templars (L). From
Welborne (Norfolk), Welbourn (Lincs) or Welburn (NRYorks).

The given name <Ann> was found in the following articles on English Names:

http://heraldry.sca.org/names/english/kings.html
http://heraldry.sca.org/names/english/late16.html
http://heraldry.sca.org/names/english/quedgeley.html
http://heraldry.sca.org/names/english/parishes/parishes.html

Hope this is a start. I'm sure somebody can come along with a
placenames book and get a better dated form of <Wellborn> or an
earlier period form of <ann>

Jayme

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Pat Mullins <paedrics at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
> I hail from the Shire of the Shadowlands, which currently has no herald. As I am on this list I offered to help out one of our members who is in the process of trying to submit a name.
> The name she wants to submit is:
>
> Ann of Wellborn
>
> (locative byname, Wellborn is an unincorperated community just south of College Station)
>
> Is there any chance this could pass? If so, could anybody help with the documentation?
>
> thanks for any assistance anyone might be able to give,
> Paedric OMullan
> Shadowlands

Joseph M. Percer, AAS, LP