[ANSTHRLD] Name check de LaTour

Mike Wyvill wyvillmike at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 08:11:24 PDT 2010

  From the Wine Doctor website
(http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingsprofile/latour.shtml):

At this time there stood a defensive battlement, the Tor à St-Lambert
(the name of which mutates from Lambert, to Mambert and then Maubert
through history), built by Gaucelme de Castillon in 1331. The Tor à
St-Lambert was the scene of a battle between the warring Plantagenets
and the French, a minor skirmish in the Caroline War, the second stage
of the Hundred Years' War. It is this tower that gave its name to
Latour, as evinced by the existence of a /seigneurie/ of the same name.
The Sieur de Larsan held that title when he fled in 1453, following the
defeat of the English at the Battle of Castillon, the closing chapter of
116 years of English-French conflict, and sadly the tower was then razed
to the ground. Nothing of it today remains, although the grandiose
dovecot that today overlooks the vines (shown below), and which is
commonly mistaken for the tower after which Latour is named, is said to
be constructed using stone from the original edifice. This is a distinct
possibility, although it should be noted that nearly two centuries
separate the fall of one structure and the rising forth of the next.

In Barbara Tuchman's 'A Distant Mirror' she mentions Seigneur Geoffrey
La Tour Landry several times.

EdV