[ANSTHRLD] "I want a device. Now what?"

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Sep 9 13:46:20 PDT 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Ron (Modar) Knight <Rknight at kumc.edu> wrote:
> Daniel:
>> Prompted by the question on a mailing list, I went looking for FAQ #1:
>> "I want a name|device.  What do I do?"  Oddly, I couldn't find one at
>> heraldry.sca.org or heraldry.ansteorra.org.  Anyone have a URL?
>> Surely this article has been written many times before.  Maybe there's
>> a Gazette article?
> .
> Eirik:
>> Modar's site has this article, "Creating a Heraldic Device",
>> by Modar at http://www.modaruniversity.org/Newcomer-Packet-11-Heraldry.pdf.
>> Don't know if that is specifically what you are looking for.
> .
> I need to re-do that article.  It's got bare-bones stuff to show
> folks when talking with them...but it's not really a "how to do it
> yourself" kind of guide.
> .
> The one article "Choosing a Name & Creating a Persona" [
> http://www.modaruniversity.org/Names.htm ] is more of a "how to do
> it yourself" guide but only deals with names, not devices.

Thank you both for the URLs.

However, I don't want a "how to do it yourself" article.  I think most
people don't want to go so deep into heraldry to do it all themselves
and I think it's unreasonable to ask most people to do so.

I want an article about

- a name is ... a device is ...

- registration is ...

- you need a name submission at the same time as or before a device
   submission

- talk to your local herald.  If you don't have one or if he doesn't
   respond, talk to your regional or Star: here's their contact info

- when you go into a consultation, tell them any place+time+culture
   ideas (one or more)

- for a name: you can see real period names at Saint Gabriel ... look
   at name elements plus name construction.  your submission must have
   period style, so it helps to see real names appropriate for your
   places+times+cultures. also, you might get some ideas that you like

- for a device, you might want to look at real period coats of arms at
   ... your submission must have period style, so it helps to see real
   designs appropriate for your places+times+cultures

- for a device, if you're in the brainstorming stage, it can help if
   you have one favorite metal and two favorite colors, and some notions
   of charges.

- the fridge test is ...

- conflict is ...  (not telling them all the conflict rules and how to
   use the Ordinary and Armorial and pattern search and all that --
   just defining what it means and saying that a more experienced
   herald should be able to conflict-check items.  briefly explain a
   little bit about changes that can clear conflicts.)  don't
   complicate your desires until you get a conflict

- a letter of permission is ...

- your consulting heralds should help you fill out the forms and check
   for conflict and all that

Daniel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com