[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Checking using "oanda"

Joshua Brandl norfildur at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 11 20:52:17 PDT 2010

First off... If there is a better title... lets use it..
now for the meat and taters of the email

http://oanda.sca.org/

since you all were so kind to help me with my device..
figured i would attempt to do my own badge
now.. this is the badge i am attempting to conflict check

Blazon:
Fieldless, a cross quarterly argent and gules, surmounted by a mullet of eight points pierced sable

Emblazon:
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/aednial/badgecolored.gif

now... coming to the "oanda"
i broke it down into several different queries

First i looked for fieldless - returned on the query as invalid, so i went in and manually looked it up via the "F" link  still nothing so.. onward

I then went onto cross...  there are several versions of the cross, i wanted just a good old fashioned plain cross. so i did not add a descriptor to it
i came up with the following query : CRAC:multicolor:sole primary  -  because the cross is dual colored, and since it is underneath the mullet and first in the blazon i took it as the "primary" charge..
i found several, but none that appeared to be a plain cross.. and none that were quarterly argent and gules.
after pulling up the result list i checked for conflicts using the "find" feature built into my browser, typing two searches: {quarterly} , {argent and gules}

i then moved on to the mullet figuring that the cross was not conflicting, since i wanted my mullet similar to the ones on my device.
i came up with the following query : STAR:sable:4 or more:charged - because the mullet is of course sable, with eight tines or points, and i assumed the peircing counts as a charge ( mainly because the find function pulled up pierced on the charged search and not on the uncharged)
again after pulling up the result list i checked for conflicts using the
"find" feature built into my browser, typing several searches including: {eight points} , {Pierced} , {Surmounting}

again i did not find anything that compares... did i do this process correctly? How about completely ?
id love to just teach myself... but this can get awfully bloody complicated, perhaps in the "I want a device. Now What?"   thread that is going on, someone could make a sort of Oanda Primer?

once again, i appreciate your patience, and thank you all for the help and instruction you have provided...

Jbrandl10