[ANSTHRLD] ISO Mor Cochrane?

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 13:21:18 PDT 2010

> I couldn't tell you whether that would really generate a conflict
> here in Ansteorra

Conflict rules are SCA-wide.

I suppose where I was going with that statement was operating under the
assumption that you were not sure of a conflict, and perhaps Caid felt there
was a conflict.

That being said, I see your point about if the pronunciations. I'll see if I
can find out from the submitter what they know.

Jayme

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>  On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Joseph Percer <jpercer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Does anyone know where I could get in touch with Mor Cochrane - The
>>>>

>>> How is "Moire Cochrane" pronounced?  In particular, is the first
>>> name one syllable with a vowel that's "o" or close to it?
>>>

> That is, I don't know whether "Moire" is properly pronounced "MOY-rah"
> or "MOR" or what, not being of the Irish Gaelic persuasion.
>

>  Is it your thought that if the pronounciation is different then
>> because they look different and sound different, then it's not a
>> conflict?
>>

> The reverse: if the pronunciations are identical or nearly so, then I
> think it can't be registered even with a letter of permission to
> conflict.  I think Michaela of Monmouthshire needed that extra
> syllable to be able to use the letter of permission from Michael of
> Monmouthshire.
>

>  What the pronounciation is I do not know, they were just informed by
>> their herald in Caid that they would likely have a conflict with
>> <Mor> due to the identical last name elements and the fact that
>> <Moire> was a derivative of <Mor>
>>

> "i. Given Names - Two given names are significantly different only if
> they differ significantly in sound and appearance. Irrespective of
> differences in sound and appearance, a given name is not significantly
> different from any of its diminutives when they are used as given
> names. However, two diminutives of the same given name are
> significantly different if they differ significantly in sound and
> appearance."
>
> Then the question is: is Moire indeed a diminutive of Mor?  Then, even
> if it is enough different in sound, there would need to be a letter of
> permission.
>

>  I couldn't tell you whether that would really generate a conflict
>> here in Ansteorra
>>

> Conflict rules are SCA-wide.
>
> Dankyn de Lincoln
>
> --