[ANSTHRLD] Cross quarterly, overall a mullet of eight points pierced

Joshua Brandl norfildur at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 11 21:53:24 PDT 2010

Compass star... i keep seeing this term tossed out, from what i understand it to be, and have seen it drawn, a compass star is not what i am looking for. a compass star is essentially 4 long points in cardinal directions, and then 4 more in secondary directions.. ( with the compass rose being an additional 4 in tertiary directions )  instead i am looking for even tines, the term mullet of eight being used so that an unfamiliar herald will always draw it so, rather than the four greater-four lesser style mentioned earlier...

now piercing is cutting out a circular area from within the star, such that the background is seen through it, in this case the intersection of the cross. i am unsure how a compass star could be pierced argent as a Or charge should not be placed on an argent background...  i am not entirely able to visualize what is meant by "omni-tinctured"

also... we dont surmount... where is this posted for beginners? i will not go so far as to say it is NOT posted... just that i dont know where it is... perhaps it would be good to gather this things into a sort of continuity folder... for those of us newbs who are interested in studying SCA heraldry...  i say SCA heraldry because a majority of the things practiced in period heraldry seem to be disallowed in the SCA... making most mundane heraldic references (at least that i have been able to get my grubby paws on) nigh-unto useless

Being that badges were used more to designate property rather than presence, i cannot seem to find a good reference of sca-period badges... my persona time period is in the early simple beginning times of mundane heraldry, and i cannot seem to find a single badge from MY period at all...

Jbrandl10