[ANSTHRLD] Two wolves yin-yanged

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Apr 17 15:00:54 PDT 2011

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Richard Culver <rbculver at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011, Richard Culver <rbculver at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> BTW if he wanted runes, he can only pick one these days.
>>
>> What do you mean?
>
> I was told at one point that only one rune, not a bunch of them.
> You could that one more than once but not a bunch of different ones.
> I may have heard that wrong though.

All in all: suggest first that they read Gunnvor's article for notes
on period style.

There's this from the April 2010 LoAR:

   Skallagr{i'}mr B{a'}r{dh}arson. Device. Gyronny sable and Or, eight
   Tyr runes in annulo, bases to center, counterchanged.

       This device is returned for being composed entirely of abstract
       charges, which violates precedent:

           We therefore extend the ban on single abstract charges to
           cover any armory consisting solely of abstract charges, in
           any language (e.g., Japanese kanji, Norse runes, Arabic
           script, etc.). This applies whether the armory consists of a
           single word or a phrase.  [Yamahara Yorimasa, March 2006,
           R-{AE}thelmearc]

       Since this armory is composed entirely of Tyr runes, it violates
       this ban.

But that's a ban against armory composed *solely* of abstract charges,
so adding a bordure (for example) would apparently avoid it.  Also,
the older ban was agsinst having only one rune, so it's not a case of
"one OK, more than one bad".

There's also this precedent from the November 2010 LoAR:

   Gaius Furius Marius. Device. Sable, a lowercase Greek letter alpha
   and a bordure Or.

       This device is returned for conflict with the device of Quinto
       Formaggio, "Azure, the Roman numeral V and a bordure Or". There
       is a single CD, for the change of tincture of the field.
       Precedent says:

           We do not grant difference between single letters, even when
           they are in different alphabets; we therefore cannot grant
           difference between a chi-rho and a feogh rune. [Constantina
           von Ravenna, May 2008, R-West]

       Therefore, this device is also returned for conflict with the
       badge of Martinus Draco Byzantinos, "Azure, a chi-rho and a
       bordure Or". There is a single CD for the change of tincture of
       the field.

       Please instruct the submitter that, if they wish to use a
       lowercase alpha in their armory, the character should be a
       recognizable period alpha. Several commenters thought that this
       appeared to be a ribbon, not a letter.

The April 1993 LoAR has a more expansive statement:

    In this case, "words is words": for the purposes of counting
    conflict, any block of text is considered identical to any other
    block of text.  (Difference might be granted between single Roman
    letters, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

So symbols is symbols (and we came to the bridge and burnt it), which
could be a problem for a particular design, depending.

I also note, from February 2007:

   Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi. Badge. (Fieldless) A belt in annulo
   sable garnished Or.

       This badge is returned for conflict with the device for Conrad
       Breakring, .  This does not conflict with the badge for Jonathan
       Blackshaft, "(Fieldless) A garter sable charged with the letters
       N.A.G.S. Or". There is a CD for fieldlessness and another for
       removing the tertiary letters. As with a book, a few letters on
       a garter are considered tertiary charges.

which might *also* affect the conflict-checking for a proposal.

And something else to note from January 2003:

   {AE}varr inn v{i'}{dh}f{o,}rli. Device. Azure, a dolphin and on a
   chief wavy argent the Norse runes tyr, urus, sig, isa, and isa
   sable.

       No translation was provided for the word on the chief. The SCA
       requires that a translation be provided for any phrases used in
       armory:

           Secondly, a translation of the Arabic [used on the device
           submission] is required by Laurel precedent and the
           Administrative Handbook. (LoAR April 1999, p. 20)

           Please inform the submitter that a translation of the text
           [on the bordure] should be included with the
           submission. (LoAR July 2000, p. 4)

This from June 2001 is only tangentally applicable:

     (Paper letters, mind you.  The Laurel office regrets that it is
     unable to accept cuneiform tablets, runestones, tattooed cattle,
     &c.  All such will be returned to sender, postage due.)

All in all: suggest first that they read Gunnvor's article.

Denyel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com