[ANSTHRLD] Device question (please bare with me)

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Wed Apr 20 15:08:59 PDT 2011

Wow. I am pleasantly surprised your picture came through.

Unfortunately, there are issues with you getting the device passed. Some surmountable, some I am much less sure of.

First, your device is color-on-color, meaning a dark tincture (red) on top of a dark tincture (black). The yellow/gold outlining doesn't help with that, as it would have in the Earliest Days, because current rules only allow outlining (fimbriating) to count for something if the object outlined is a simple shape in the middle of the shield. Your outlining really isn't thick enough to count as fimbriating anyway, it's more of an artistic detail. This, however, is the surmountable (with difficulty) problem -- there are rare instances of red-on-black and black-on-red armory in period. The current rules require you to supply documentation of such with your submission, preferrably several and preferrably in the culture and time period of your persona. This is to prove you have 'done your homework'.

However, the current rules also require that the image be reproducible from the blazon -- the verbal description of the device, and that the image be easily discernible as to what it is from a distance -- and I fear this design would fail on both counts. Better heralds than me will chime in on that. As well as whether a phoenix could be depicted as rising but not from flames, or rising in profile like this, (which IS the way natural birds are depicted 'rising'.)

And your blazon would be, simply "Sable, a phoenix rising gules." You don't need 'rampant', and you don't need 'armed' unless you are specifying a different tincture for the arming.

Kevin, Nordsteorra