[ANSTHRLD] Device illustration [Hope the pic comes thru]

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Fri Apr 22 10:49:02 PDT 2011

You may be under a misapprehension of the power of the word "proper". There was a time when styling something as "proper" allowed you to place color on color or metal on metal. Here, color means dark (red, black, blue, green, purple) and metal means light (white, yellow). That is no longer the case. Now, proper tinctures, furs et al are considered light or dark depending on their principal tincture. (Vair is an exception; it really is half light and half dark.)

The only way to place dark on dark today is one of:

Either the charge or the thing the charge is on must be half color and half metal -- and the tinctures that are in the same group (light or dark) still have to have 'sufficient contrast'. Blue on purple or red on purple will almost certainly not fly. So you could not put a red herring on a field striped red and yellow, but you could on a field striped black and yellow.

or

You must document the color combination you want to use as being used in period and preferrably appropriate for the time and culture you will be re-creating, preferrably with multiple citations.

An overall charge like your phoenix is counted against the field, the black shield. The fact that it also overlays the white bendlets doesn't mean anything where this rule is concerned. Your phoenix is not on a half-white, half black background, it is on a black background. (This is a rule I personally don't like, but it is the rule as the rules stand.)
To be placed on the black field, with or wihout the intervening bendlets, it and its flames must be half yellow (Or) or all yellow. If the yellow is percieved by the College as being a negligible outlining, it will be ignored. If it is seen as an attempt at fimbriating, it will be rejected because the phoenix is not a sufficiently-simple charge.

To be on a half and half background, you would actually have to stripe the whole shield black and white and call it "Bendy sable and argent". There would need to be the same number of black and white stripes. The stripe that occupies the top left corner, or the top half of that corner if two stripes meet there, would be the tincture you mention first. The stripes could still be engrailed if you like, and in that case all the points would point up and to the right.

I'm sorry I wasn't sufficiently clear with that before.

Kevin