[ANSTHRLD] Forms of Address (Was From the Feb 2011 Covr Letter)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Apr 29 07:59:42 PDT 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Placing Lord or Lady in front of a title was an Ansteorran
> Heraldic Custom when I first started out.

Known-worlde wide.  I immediately thought of the song "Lady Laurel In
Her Wisdom Nuked My Name", which had to have been 1975-1979 or little
later, and I doubt she lived in Ansteorra (which didn't exist qua
Ansteorra for some of that time).  I grepped quickly thru LoAR Cover
Letters and saw plenty of "Lord [title]" up thru Bruce Laurel's
tenure, July 1992 - November 1993, and when they open Bruce's heart,
they'll see the four crescents of Caid engraved on it (and "callous"
too).

But there were only two-three usages in the next couple of months, one
maybe not by Da'ud, and then it went away (except for quotations and
such).  My guess is that someone in 1993 or a little before pointed
out, "hey, in the real world, heralds don't get 'lord' or 'lady' ex
officio except for Lyon King of Arms", and by the time Da'ud started
his second reign, he decided Let's Do That Thing.

It even had a practical effect ... well, "practical" in the SCA ...
The October 1994 LoAR Cover Letter,