[ANSTHRLD] I need a tool for the Calendar Patent Rolls!

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 2 11:17:12 PDT 2011

So, here's my story: I found a website that has PDFs of all the Calendar Patent Rolls from 1216-1452(http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/patentrolls/). However, for some unknowable reason, they have put them up as unconnected one-page PDFs.

I've tried using Google. Some searches get results, such as "site:sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu inurl:patentrolls Percy".

However, other searches don't get results, possibly due to spelling or whatever internal OCR evaluation of the text or whatever.

What would be best would be if each of these volumes was one dang PDF, then you could search for substrings. "site:sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu inurl:patentrolls Apperleghe" gets no hits, but inside the PDF I could search for just "Apper" and find it.

Second best would be if there was some easy way to page through these without having to click a link, search that one page pdf, close it, open the next, then search that one, ad nauseam. The rolls for, say, the reign of Edward III, just in the years 1327-1330, is over 700 pages!

The Calendar Rolls are a great source of information about very specifically dated medieval names in England.

Oh software and computer gurus, can you help?

::GUNNVOR::