[ANSTHRLD] Name question: Joe the <color>

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 10:11:23 PDT 2011

Well... Setting the given name aside for a moment,

Mari has an article published on Descriptive Bynames from the Irish
Annals located at:
http://medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/DescriptiveBynames/
The article talks a bit about Irish Gaelic descriptive practices.
Looking at the Alphabetical list of descriptive elements we find
<Gorm> for Blue.

http://medievalscotland.org/kmo/AnnalsIndex/DescriptiveBynames/Gorm.shtml

With 1 instance in 1488: [Domhnall Gorm mac Alustrainn Mhic Domhnaill]
(Or, Blue Donald, son of Alustrainn Son of Donald.) (Is Alasdair
anglicized form of Alustrainn?)... Either way, A correctly formed
descriptive Gaelic name with blue, would seem to be <Given name>
<Gorm>.

If it is indeed Fiacha, I'll punt that to someone else as I don't have
a copy of OC&M handy to start looking for it.

Andrewe

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Richard Culver <rbculver at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> My guess it is Fiacha the Blue.
>

> Wihtric