[ANSTHRLD] ot COHTRimaris Name question: Highgate

Scott Catledge scat at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 10 04:15:57 PDT 2011

I cannot find the original request for 'Highgate" but it was most likely from Ansteorra or Trimaris.
The following two were sent to me by onomasts on the English Place-Name Society list when I requested documentation for the exact spelling 'Highgate.'
Being a proud member of EPNS has its advantages.  Mills _Place-Names of London_ was also mentioned but with insufficient documentation.
I hope that the reference from the EPNS volume and the citation from Holinshed's Chronicle will suffice.
The '|' in 'com|mons' is probably a page/folio marker.

Middlesex not City of London	J. E. B. Gover & Allen Mawer & F. M. Stenton	EPNS vol. XVIII	1942, p. 123
has Highgate, 1440 A.D.

http://www.english.ox.ac.uk/holinshed/texts.php?text1=1587_5832
You are here: 1587 > Volume 6 > Body Text: Section 15 of 24: Henrie the sixt, sonne and heire to Henrie the fift.
 (1587, Volume 6, p. 660)
1 When the daie was closed, those that were about the king (in number a twentie thousand) hearing how euill their fellowes had sped, began vtterlie to despaire of the victorie, and so fell without anie long tarriance to running awaie. By reason whereof, the nobles that were about the king, perceiuing how the game went, and withall saw no comfort in the king, but rather a good will and affection towards the con|trarie part, they withdrew also, leauing the king ac|companied with the lord Bonneuille, & sir Thomas Kiriell of Kent; which vpon assurance of the kings promise, tarried still with him, and fled not. But their trust deceiued them, for at the queenes departing from saint Albons, they were both beheaded; though contrarie to the mind and promise of hir husband. Sir Thomas Thorp, baron of the escheker, was also beheaded the same daie, at Highgate, by the com|mons of Kent