[ANSTHRLD] Un type-able characters

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 16 17:14:20 PST 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Joshua Brandl <norfildur at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just a heads up for those of us with "un type-able" characters in
> our name...  i have found a solution.. and not knowing where to
> share it i thought i would put a little post here...  the main one i
> know of the O ogonek however you all may have found more...

Thanks for the pointer to "unicode input".

Please be aware of the readers of the resulting text.  If you're
printing something or saving it for yourself, there's no problem.  If
it's a computer file that you expect other people to read, they may
not have the software, the font, or the display capability.
For example, I read e-mail in a text window that can handle thorn and
edh, but not o-ogonek, but composing mail in this editor, I see octal
strings for all of those characters.

Da'ud Notation is often used for that purpose in the SCA heraldic
community.  For example, {o"} or {o:} is o umlaut or o diaresis, {dh}
is eth, {o,} is o ogonek, {'e} is e grave.  It's portable, but hurts
readability some (if the display mechanism allows reading them as
aforesaid).

Dannet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com