[ANSTHRLD] Tristan L-something

Jennifer Smith jds at randomgang.com
Wed Feb 16 19:29:11 PST 2011

Client #1 would prefer a French name, circa 1400s-1500s but isn't very
picky. He definitely wants Tristan as the given name, which I can find
a fair amount of documentation for already.  He also wants some form
of "Laurence" as an unmarked patronymic byname, which is where I need
help. I haven't gone through every article on heraldry.sca.org yet,
but a brief glance at the 1292 Census of Paris turned up a number of
possibilities, namely Larenz/Lorens/Lorenz/Lorrenz.

What I still need is citations for later period spellings, and a
reminder of evidence of whether or not French used unmarked patronymic
bynames. I know English did, and so I'll offer him a few variations on
the same for an English context, but I know he's most interested in
French at the moment.

-Emma