[ANSTHRLD] Or, a Hen purpure

Joseph Percer jpercer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 17:02:24 PST 2011

Your Excellency,

We did just send up a brown chicken, proper... That was a source of
great debate...

>From the Oct 1995 Cover Letter

[October 1995 Cover Letter] "PRECEDENT: Henceforward, and more in line
with period heraldic practice, animals which are normally brown may be
registered simply as an {X} proper (e.g., boar proper, hare proper).
Animals which are frequently found as brown but also commonly appear
in other tinctures in the natural world may be registered as a brown
{X} proper (e.g., brown hound proper, brown horse proper).
This precedent does not, however, loosen the ban on "Linnaean proper"
(Cover Letter, May 13, 1991); proper tinctures for flora and fauna
which require the Linnaean genus and species to know how to color
them. For example, a falcon proper will be considered to be all brown,
not brown head, wings and back, buff breast with darker spots, and a
tail striped with black; a hare proper will be considered to be all
brown, not brown with white underbelly and tail and pink ears. This
also appears to be more in keeping with period heraldic practice."

I think this "rubber stamps" the brown hen proper, so long as you're
not going overboard with it...

YiS,

Andrewe (formerly Jayme)

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Bill Butler <chemistbb3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> OK, educational opportunity here.
>
> Is a brown hen a heraldic type of hen?
>
> As far as I know, "brown" is not a breed of chicken.  (It's been a long time since my 4-H county fair days though.)  If it is not a recognized breed or a heraldic breed, then I would not think that you could do a hen "proper" as there could be many variations, depending of the breed.
>
> Thanks
>
> William

Joseph M. Percer, AAS, LP