[ANSTHRLD] Oath of Fealty/Homage

Meggan Cividanes harperaria at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 08:02:08 PST 2011

Pippin swears “‘Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor, and to the Lord
and Steward of the realm, to speak and to be silent, to do and to let be, to
come and to go, in need or plenty, in peace or war, in living or dying, from
this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world
so end,’” (Tolkien, “Return” 29-30).

Denethor's response is “‘And this do I hear, Denethor son of Ecthelion, Lord of
Gondor, Steward of the High King, and I will not forget it, nor fail to reward
that which is given: fealty with love, valour with honor, oath-breaking with
vengeance’” (Tolkien, “Return” 30).

~Lillias