[ANSTHRLD] Period forms for place name <von Basel>

Jillian Birtciel saintesun at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:03:14 PDT 2011

Greetings!

I have a client wishing to register the name <Issac von Basel>.
Disregarding the given name for the moment, I believe the construction <von
X> is correct, according to some of my readings from the Medieval Names
Archive.  What we have not found yet is a vernacular spelling for the
town/University of Basel.  I did find this amazing print:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nuremberg_chronicles_-_BASILEA.png

with a Latinized form.  Does anyone know how to extrapolate, or have a
source for the city name on hand that we might pull from?  His persona is
that of a young Swiss/German in the mid 1500's.  I haven't looked up the
information yet, but there is a University of Basel as well, established mid
1400's, might that be a good source for a period place name?

Thankfully...
--
Yours in Service,

~Jillian Saint Andre, OSTB

`*When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, `it
means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.' *

* `The question is,' said Alice, `whether you can make words mean so many
different things.' *

* `The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be master - - that's
all.' *