[ANSTHRLD] Locatives

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 7 19:55:08 PDT 2011

> This is actually for me. :-) I'm working on a new surname and I'm thinking
> of just doing a surname based on location. I have in mind SW France, the
> Saintonge region or Gascony, where there might be a mix of English and
> French influence during the HYW. Any thoughts on how to identify the names
> of manors from that time and area?
>
> --Antoine

What year?

La Guide des Chemins de France, by Charles Estienne
An online edition of a sixteenth-century book on French geography. Written in French with modern table of contents.
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k102662d/f1.table

Names of Castles found in Troubadour Lyrics, by Aryanhwy merch Catmael, Arval Benicoeur, and Talan Gwynek
A couple dozen placenames from 12th and 13th century Occitan sources.
http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/other/castlenames.html

I also recommend using a Google search: antique maps france

That brings you up a bunch of people selling antique maps. Not all will have high res pics, but once you have the name and author and year of a given map, you can Google for it more specifically until you DO find a high res version.  And what is a map besides a bunch of placenames?

::GUNNVOR::