[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check: Sable a Bowen cross and on a chief argent three Bowen crosses sable.

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 14:16:58 PDT 2012

Yes, you first post came through by the time I got up yesterday.  I'm sorry I failed to remember flagging it when working on unread requests later last night.

No conflicts observed for "Sable, a Bowen cross and on a chief argent three Bowen crosses sable."  I see 2 CD difference versus "Purpure, a Bowen Cross and a chief argent." (Talan of Skye, Device, Feb 2003) for change of field and addition of tertiary charge group.  I also see 2 CD difference versus "Azue, a Bowen cross and on a chief argent three chevronels throughout braced gules."  (Clara Marschall, Device, Dec 2008) for changes to field and to type of tertiary .  Most other potentials were X2 clear, including "Sable, a cross formy, on a chief argent four crosses formy sable." (Karl Abstreiter von Bayem, Device, May 1997).n

Note, however, having the same charge type in multiple charge groups isn't good heraldic style.  In this case it blurs the distinction between "on a chief" and "per fess". Fortunately, there's nothing like "Per fess argent and sable, 1-3 Bowen crosses counterchanged" to raise potential visual conflict calls.

Tostig