[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check: Per pile througout gules and or, a lion and a stag combatant counter-changed

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Apr 23 09:19:10 PDT 2012

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012, Jennifer Smith <jds at randomgang.com> wrote:
> Since a pile is an ordinary, you could fit the lion and stag on either
> side of it, but you couldn't have them partly on the field and partly
> on the pile.

I believe that the problem is that the lion and stag are "overall"
(partly overlying a charge, partly lying on the field) and
counterchanged, and the SCA allows overall charges counterchanged
across an ordinary only if the overall charge is also an ordinary.

Is that correct?

> "Per chevron inverted gules and Or, a lion and a stag combatant
> counterchanged" would be legal, with the top half red and the bottom
> half yellow.

To expand on that, "half" means "it should look like a per chevron
line except upside down", which allows a certain amount of variation
for the angle, but also "the two sections should have approximately
the same area", which I think you would often not expect for a pile.

Danihel Lincolnia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com